Sunday 27 October 2013

S6.186 - Banding Together



The Story So Far: The personified math-tans have been cast out of mathematics. Seeking probability in order to return, Logan and his crew made it to Fractal City - but not without cost. As his group try to understand the fractal inhabitants, the other mathematical relations struggle to come to terms with the repercussions of losing a primary function.

"How about this," Para suggested. "We'll split into two groups. One group attempts to map out the area, to see if Versine might be out here already. The other group tries to contact mathematics, to see if she, or anyone else who's there, is able to help."


Tangent shook her head. "No! You're missing my point. Current trig and Archaic Trig don't get along! If they realize what you're doing, and learn that Versine is related to your efforts, they'll flip out!"

"So distract trig," Elly said simply.

"How??" 

"A band." All eyes turned to see who had spoken, making Root jump a bit in his seat. "I just mean, music was our backup plan, right? We were going to hang out in music if we couldn't get back to math. Didn't Secant mention starting a group called 'Your X Girlfriends'?"

Expona lifted an eyebrow. "You're saying we recruit all of trig into a band?" she said, dubiously.

"Or an orchestra!" Para mused, tapping her index finger to the side of her mouth. "That could even be fun! And since I already know lots about musical composition, I can coordinate them from right here in Maud's bar! Okay, new idea. While I do that, Elly, you can quietly see about making a mystic link back to our subject. Meanwhile, I know Lyn's done some exploring already, so I'm sure we can get her to organize--"


I won't stand for it! ...I'll sit down!
"Excuse me?" Expona interrupted, rising to her feet. "What's with all the orders? I don't recall electing you as our leader here!" The parabola stopped talking and shrank back a bit.

"Perhaps Para isn't the leader, but along with ParaB, she's our telepathic point of contact with Fractal City," Elly reminded. She looked to the bunny girl. "I don't mind working on the link."

"Plus Para can talk to the readers!" Root added, leaning on one of his arms and grinning at the parabola. "She's awesome! I'm fine with whatever she decides!"

"It does sound like a reasonable plan of action," Tangent said, squirming a bit in her chair. "I can even see the music helping to calm Cosine."

Expona let out a long breath. "I'm not saying it isn't reasonable," she explained. "I'm saying the parabola's being bossy!"

"If you feel she's delegating, we can always put things up to a vote instead," Maud suggested to the redhead.

"That's not... like even that would be fair?!" Expona objected. "I know you're all inclined to side with blondie's opinions! You never... ah, screw it, who cares anyway." She sat back down in her chair, crossing her arms angrily across her chest. There was a moment of uncertainty, then everyone's attention turned back to either Para or Tangent.

Only Para's gaze lingered on the exponential function long enough to see the expression of sadness and longing flicker across the redhead's face.


<— PREVIOUS INDEX 6 NEXT —>

No comments:

Post a Comment