Wednesday 23 October 2013

S6.185 - Where and Pieces



The Story So Far: The personified math-tans have been cast out of mathematics. Seeking probability in order to return, Logan and his crew made it to Fractal City - but not without cost. As his group try to understand the fractal inhabitants, the other mathematical relations struggle to come to terms with the repercussions of losing a primary function.

"Versine? That archaic trig function??" Expona said in surprise.

"Correct me if I'm wrong," Root said slowly, "but did Versine not try to blow up all of you trigonometric functions less than a year ago?"


As I recall you had a blast with her.
"Time is relative," Elly murmured quietly from her seat.

Tangent nodded. "Yeah, she did. Which is why I'm bringing this to you. The rest of my family, they'll think I'm the insane one. But Cosine... she's TRYING to act like she's fine now, but I know my sister better than that. She's falling to pieces! I don't know why she refuses to let me help her!!"

Para winced, thinking back on her own recent facade of joy. She wondered if maybe talking to Cosine about her own experiences would help. Or make things worse.

Maud rubbed his chin. "Okay, I admit, I didn't see that suggestion coming. It does raise an interesting question. Namely is Versine even out here with us? I've never seen her. I just assumed she was stuck back in our subject area, with all the child functions."

More glances were exchanged. "Is it possible she's out here, but not out HERE?" Para asked. "Like, she was blown into some other community or something?"

"I suppose," Maud acknowledged. "We talk a good game, but we haven't explored much beyond this immediate area."

"Well, wherever Versine is, she's unaware of us, as she hasn't swooped in to capitalize on recent events," Expona reasoned. "Could we maybe get Signum to help us locate her? Surely the sign function could point us in the right direction."

"Signum's in Fractal City," Root reminded.

"Duh. But Dr. Nisano is working on re-establishing regular communication," the redhead countered.


SCIENCE!
Tangent winced. "Oh, please don't encourage his mad science by using that name. His manic attitude has been worse since the loss of his inverse! Go back to calling him ArcSin, or Nis. Anyway, I don't want the other trigonometric functions to know about this suggestion! Are you sure you don't have any better ideas??"

"Perhaps Hyper can create some magical device to assist Cosine," Elly finally put in, leaning forwards and adjusting her orbital hairpiece. "That is, once the hyperbola has come to terms with the idea that she is a magical girl."

"Oh right! How's that realization working out for her?" Maud asked.

Elly turned to him. "Hyper is currently attempting to contact her magical guide. She believes it will manifest to her as a fuzzy animate cube, about ten centimetres on each side."

Everyone turned to stare at Elly. "Okay. Not well then," Maud concluded. The ellipse merely shrugged.


<— PREVIOUS INDEX 6 NEXT —>

No comments:

Post a Comment