Wednesday 11 December 2013

S6.199 - Cliff Notes



The Story So Far: The personified math-tans have been cast out of mathematics. Seeking probability in order to return, Logan and his crew made it to Fractal City - but not without cost. As his group try to understand the fractal inhabitants, the other mathematical relations struggle to come to terms with the repercussions of losing a primary function.

"There you are!" Root approached the darker haired function, shaking his head. "Honestly magic boy, what's with calling me out to such a remote meeting place?" He gestured out at the blackness that stretched beyond the cliff edge.

Reci adjusted his tie. "I figured you wouldn't believe me unless you saw... wait, what did you call me?"

Root grinned. "Magic boy. After all, if Hyperbola's now a magical girl, and you're a form of hyperbola..."


The reciprocal made a face. "Okay, no. I mean, I get it. You don't like conics because of their grudge against your girlfriend, but come on. I'm different. I have no squared terms."

"True. You're just always under some 1, doing whatever it is Hyper tells you..."

"Hey! I participated in your raid against the conics when they kidnapped Para. You think Hyper authorized me to attack her house?!"

Root's smile faded. "Okay. Point taken, Reci."

"Good. And I've been thinking of changing my name to Rhys, actually," the reciprocal admitted, now grinning himself. "What do you think?" Root simply stared. "Okay. Anyway, the reason I called you out here was because of the invisible bridge."

The silver haired function did a double take. "The invisible what?"

"Bridge. As you know, Lyn and Tan sometimes run off and play, including out here by the cliffs. Being worried for my reciprocal, I figured I should scout along the perimeter, make sure there were no dangerous overhangs, that sort of thing."


"Mmm hmmm. You're sure you weren't scouting for a picnic location for you and Sexi?"

"Shut up. My point is this." Reci moved to the cliff edge, briefly getting down on his hands and knees and feeling about. He then stood, and took three paces out into the blackness. Root let out a cry of horror and ran forward to grab for the other function - only to see Reci seemingly standing on thin air.

"What... what the heck?" Root knelt down to feel about himself, realizing that Reci had placed a few stones in the grass to act as markers. As he reached out, past the cliff edge, there seemed to be something solid. It was difficult to tell if it was artificial or natural, but it was certainly invisible. "A bridge," he yielded. "Where does it go?"

"Beats me," Reci said, stepping past Root to get back to solid ground. "It's not really wide, so it might not be very long. But I thought in light of the Versine talk - which I FINALLY heard about, by the way - it might be important. Moreover, I thought it'd make sense to tell you at a time when Para was keeping all the trig distracted."

"That's good thinking," Root acknowledged. "Have you told anyone else?"

Reci shook his head. "Nope. Which doesn't mean someone else hasn't found it too. Much as I hate to admit it, you are talking to the guy who is least likely to be on top of things."

"Meh. You're getting better." Root stood back up. "I'll let Para know then. Since she can fly, she's likely the best choice to investigate."

"She can FLY?!"

"Thanks for the tip," Root concluded, brushing his hands off on his pants. "If you come up with anything else, let me know - hey, what with your new name, I can refer to your intel as Rhys' Pieces!" He grinned anew.

Reci glared. "Go away now."


<— PREVIOUS INDEX 6 NEXT —>

No comments:

Post a Comment